Your Wedding at St Mary’s
You can be married at St Mary's if one or both of you live in our parish. To check this go to www.achurchnearyou.org.uk and enter your postcode in the search box.
You can also marry here if one or both of you:
1. was baptized or prepared for confirmation in the parish
2. has ever lived in the parish for six months or more
3. has at any time habitually attended normal church services in the parish for six months or more
4. has a parent who has lived in the parish for six months or more in your lifetime
5. has a parent who has habitually attended public worship here for six months or more in your lifetime
6. has parents or grandparents who were married in St Mary's church
7. is on the Electoral Roll of our parish
8. have been granted a Special Licence to do so
In all cases involving church services – i.e. going to normal church services, baptism, confirmation or marriage – this applies only to Church of England services.
If you cannot demonstrate any of the above connections, you could create one, simply by attending our church’s usual services at least once a month for six consecutive months. If you decide to do this, leave enough extra time after your six month’s attendance for the banns to be read and other arrangements to be made before your wedding – about another three months should be enough.
You both have to be aged 18 or over, or if you are 16 or 17 years old and have your parents' consent to marry.
Changes to same-sex marriage legislation
Although same sex-marriage legislation is now in force, it remains the case that it is not legally possible for same-sex couples to marry in the Church of England.
If either of you is a foreign national, please go to: https://www.yourchurchwedding.org/article/information-for-foreign-nationals/
If you are divorced, only in certain circumstances can you be married here.
If you would like more information or to book a wedding, we'd be pleased to have a preliminary discussion with you over the phone. Please phone and speak to Tim on 01623 470540. Both of you should be available to speak when you phone.
If you would like to pay for your wedding, please phone the same number, to arrange a date and time for someone to meet with you to take payment.